MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Time Travels with Alito

I listen to a lot of NPR as I drive to work and back. This morning I sighed heavily as the live coverage of the Sam Alito for Supreme Court hearings began. Always a great opportunity for stuffed white guys to grandstand. Yechhh.

One of the most troubling documents that has surfaced is Alito's job application to obtain a promotion in the Reagan Administration's Solicitor General's office in 1985, the year before I graduated from high school. In it, Alito touts his membership in Concerned Alumni of Princeton – a group formed during the 70s to contest the admission of women and minorities at Princeton. Alito joined this group at a time when Princeton was opening its doors to women for the first time.

I wonder how his daughter feels about this. His public response to this discovery? He doesn't remember being affiliated with the group. Wow. A sexist and a liar. Or a wimp. Cool. Since the Supreme Court decides cases that have such enormous impact on women, it's reassuring to know that one of the only two women on the court may be replaced by a guy who believes that Ivy League universities are degraded by the enrollment of women and minorities. That kind of sentiment may have been the norm during the 50s, but in 1985? No way. This guy's a throw-back.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:43:00 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

Scary. I know everyone said that Harriet Miers wasn't qualified, but I felt so much better replacing O'Connor with her than this wing-nut. Let's hope the filibuster is back...

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Queen of Spain said...

Wow. And Wow. I missed that this morning. I'm officially scared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home