MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Mother's Body

I remember back in the day, when my breasts would “stand at attention” without any help and you could bounce a quarter off my ass. How times have changed…

As I got out of the shower this morning, I did what few dare to do sober and without being “double dog” dared: I stood in front of a full length mirror, naked. Yuck! Granted, I am no longer 23…I’m 36, and the mother of two and BOY!! Do children change your body!!

First: The face. What’s with the sun-spots?? But apparently, almost 25 percent of women have a change in their skin pigmentation, due to hormones while they're pregnant.

Second: The boobs. Back when I was 23, I weighed MUCH less than I do now, but had bigger, perkier boobs. Now, the girls look sad… But, going down in bra size is thought to be caused by a change in the makeup of the breast. When you get pregnant, the ducts, lobules, and other glandular matter inside spring to life and push aside some of the fatty tissue, according to Natalie Angier, author of Woman: An Intimate Geography.

Third: The belly. I remember always loving my stomach! I had the flattest stomach, and sometimes, depending on the way I moved, you could almost see the faint lines of a six pack. Now? More the results of six packs of beer… Apparently, according to Sylvia Brown, coauthor of The Post-Pregnancy Handbook abdominal muscles stretch up to 50 percent during pregnancy. After such extreme stretching, the muscles will never again be as strong, she says. This means that it will be next to impossible to have a stomach as toned and flat as it was when your baby was just a glimmer in your eye. Sad…

Head to toe, these changes in my body can be devastating and a blow to the ego. The price I’ve paid for being a mom is steep, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world…

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:01:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

I feel you, sister.

The sun spots are especially aggravating. And while I dream of fitting back into my size 8 pants, it's almost as if my hips are wider now. Guess there's no getting the genie back into *that* bottle...

 
At Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:15:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I, too, had a nice flat belly with a great belly button. It was one of the few parts of my body that I would pat with satisfaction and bare with pride. Forget that now! That stretched-out flesh ain't never gonna be the same! But I have no regrets, (and no boobs, either!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home