MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Friday, December 09, 2005

America The Beautiful??

Now, I don’t understand racism, especially in this country. Unless you’re Native American, saying that you’re American inevitably means that you’re ancestors are from another country. Perhaps Mexico? Germany? Africa? I consider the most beautiful thing in being a racially diverse country, is the ability to bring your flavor. We can still be proud that we’re American, but we should also be allowed to embrace our heritage, by way of tradition, or speaking our native tongue.

This morning, I read an article from the Washington Post that goes against everything American stands for, entitled “Spanish at school translates to suspension”.

In it, 16-year-old Zach Rubio, who attends Endeavor Alternative School, in Kansas City, got suspended for speaking Spanish. Not in the classroom. No, no! He got suspended for speaking Spanish with another classmate in the hallway!!

“It was, like, totally not in the classroom," the high school junior said, recalling the infraction. "We were in the, like, hall or whatever, on restroom break. This kid I know, he's like, 'Me prestas un dolar?' ['Will you lend me a dollar?'] Well, he asked in Spanish; it just seemed natural to answer that way. So I'm like, 'No problema.'

Since then, the issue of speaking Spanish in the hall has not been raised at the school, Zach said. "I know it would be, like, disruptive if I answered in Spanish in the classroom. I totally don't do that. But outside of class now, the teachers are like, 'Whatever.' ""



Said Rubio: "I'm mainly doing this for other Mexican families, where the legal status is kind of shaky and they are afraid to speak up. Punished for speaking Spanish? Somebody has to stand up and say: This is wrong."

Or, as I would say, “Esto es incorrecto”!!!

3 Comments:

At Saturday, December 10, 2005 1:10:00 PM, Blogger Elisa said...

You go woman! The ability to speak more than one language is something that should be embraced. This school's action just feeds into the paranoia of the xenophobic crowd that is anti-immigration, bilingual education and wants to make English the official language of this country (which would serve no purpose than to build barriers.) We don't need more division amongst us.

 
At Monday, December 12, 2005 1:02:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's so screwed up on so many levels. Presumably, high schools are preparing students for college, or success in a trade. Last time I checked, most colleges want you to speak more than one language. And no matter what business you go into, speaking more than one language is a major benefit. Total idiots.

 
At Monday, December 12, 2005 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Akinoluna said...

I read that article too and I agree with you and the person who made the previous comment. It makes me so angry how people think that speaking more than one language is somehow bad, or something that should be a punishable offense! I can't even wrap my head around that kind of thinking...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home