MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Too Young For Sex Education?


Now, I’m all for teaching children how to speak properly. I never taught my children to call their “privates” any other names but the proper ones. My son knows that he has a penis and my daughter knows that she has a vagina. But is it really necessary to volunteer sex education to children at such a young age?? According to this article I read in the NY Times, it is.

Robie H. Harris, a leading author of sex education books for children, started on the topic in 1994 with "It's Perfectly Normal" for pre-teenagers. Since then she has found herself addressing progressively younger audiences: first with "It's So Amazing," geared to 7-year-olds and up, and now "It's Not the Stork," due this summer, and intended for children as young as 4. In 2008 she is to publish a volume aimed at 2½-year-olds. Her steady downward demographic shift, she said, is purely in response to parental demand.

Now, I’m not saying that we should continue the lie of the stork, but in my opinion, gratuitous information and images such as the one posted above, which is from the book "It's Not the Stork," geared for children age 4 and up, are NOT necessary.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Yeah...I'm all for telling your kids where babies come from. But I don't think they need whimsical illustrations of adults getting it on to get the point across.

 
At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:18:00 PM, Blogger Elisa said...

I'm all for telling your kids where babies come from -- but a two year old? And what's wrong with calling a penis a "pee-pee" which is what my son calls his. When he is mature enough to put one and one together -- I dunno, maybe 9? -- I will tell him the proper term for it. In the meantime, I am going to let him believe in Santa Claus and save him from the gratuitous detail of where he came from.

 
At Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal experience goes back to the 5th grade when I learned about how babies were made. At recess this boy, Trent Hawkins laughed at me stating..."your parents had sex to have you"...I cried. Later I cried six more times for all my brothers and sisters. I thought sex was bad. I guess so as long as you don't make your kids feel as if it is bad...because...it...feels...good!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home