MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Screamin’ Brats & Cappuccino

This NY Times article made me want to dole out some spankings.
The author describes the children who run riot in cafes and restaurants and the parents who get offended when proprietors and patrons complain or set limits.

She sums up it up as “another skirmish between the childless and the child-centered, a culture clash increasingly common in restaurants and other public spaces as a new generation of busy, older, well-off parents ferry little ones with them.”

I’d argue that it’s not really about the kids. And it’s definitely not about the age of the parents. It’s about entitlement - that gross, graceless approach to shared public spaces. This is no different than the lady who loudly yammers on her cell phone while waiting in line or the guy who parks his penis-extension car diagonally across two parking spaces.

My kid is loud and rowdy in restaurants and cafes. It’s a combination of his age and temperament, among other things. I know that his behavior probably lowers the enjoyment level of diners at nearby tables, so we rarely eat out. If we do, we go to loud-ass family-friendly places. I don't feel bad about this.

I regret the divide that forms between people with kids and people without. Many parents don’t care about the polarization, but I do. A little thoughtfulness on both sides can go a long way toward mitigating this rift.

I have choices: I don’t need to force strangers to accommodate my child’s wild antics all the time. It’s unnecessary. (Well, except on airplanes…)

Spanks to the crazy parents who threatened lawsuits when a restaurant wanted to designate a “family friendly” area!

-Amy

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Amy, I couldn't agree more. I read the article and wanted to slap those whiny parents.

I'm a mother and obviously, I LOVE babies. That Does NOT mean they belong in every restaurant, or at the movie theater when I'm watching an R-rated movie!

It *is* about entitlement. People who act like the world must accommodate THEIR needs, while they don't give on iota of consideration for the needs of others, make me worry about the future of our society.

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Gloria said...

I don't have a problem with the kids who are being kids in restaurants or public places. I am a mother, and I understand that children sometimes get fussy. They're tired or rather be someplace else, doing something else. What I have a problem with are those parents who let their children run wild and have somehow managed to tune out their children's bad behavior and how dare anyone complain!

I sympathize with those parents who are embarrassed by a public tantrum, and who hate disrupting someone else's meal, movie, etc. It's the other parents who have no consideration for others that bother me.

 
At Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...this is a tough one because parents today rarely get out. But I think there are places where children should NOT be allowed such as a PG13 or higher rated movie. We ask patrons to shut off their cell phones so why should whining children be there? It is inconsiderate for parents to bring their toddlers to a high-end restaurant. But to a Friendly's-caliber diner or the coach section of an airplane? Come on! I have actually heard childless people whine about kids on Southwest Airlines. I rolled my eyes and told the dad next to me, "If you are too good to ride on Southwest with kids, then get first class somewhere else, bitch!" For real.
-Elisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home