MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Politics of Dancing...

Today, I am taking the opportunity to use this blog as my sounding board. I have so much on my mind and I feel this is a good way to vent.

A little over a year ago, I waited anxiously for the release of Michael Moore’s, Fahrenheit 9/11. On opening night, I went with my mother, and my right-winged brother. My brother has one of those kids that had the Bush 2004 buttons on and would just scream, “Bush, woo-hoo!!” for no apparent reason. My nephew was 6-years-old at the time and it disturbed me beyond belief.

A few months ago, I was home, alone with my son. My daughter was with her father. Fahrenheit 9/11 was on cable and I decided to sit and watch it. My son came into the room and asked if he could lay down on my lap. He did, and quickly fell to sleep…or so I thought. He listened to what was being said in the movie and it is now obvious that he was disturbed by what he had seen. Of course, at this time, I didn’t know it.

A couple of weeks went by, and I was having lunch with a girlfriend of mine. I took my son along. When our lunch arrived on the table, there was a moment of silence, while we each dug in. My son took this as his opening and asked my friend, “Amy, what do you think about President Bush?” My friend looked at me before answering the question. I thought, ‘I’m going to see where this goes.’ My son then continued, “I think he should be taken out of his position because he’s a terrible President. He sat in a classroom for 7 minutes!! 7 minutes!! He did nothing while the planes crashed into the twin towers!!” My friend turned to me and whispered, “I want me one of those.”

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that when a child doesn’t form their own opinion, it can be disturbing when they parrot the views of their parents. When they repeat what they’ve heard their parents say and don’t form their own thoughts, its sad. My son and I had a very long talk after that. I wish he hadn’t seen the movie, he is far too young to grasp the severity of the issues. But my boy did reach his own opinion and is disgusted, just like his mother…

-Gloria

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home