MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Pimp My Stroller

How much is too much when it comes to your children?

For the record, I like to spoil my 10-month-old baby girl as much as the next gal. She has more toys than she could ever hope to chew, and her outfits are always perfectly color-coordinated, right down to the dainty bows in her hair.

I also like to think of myself as stylish and trend-conscious, so when I first heard about Cookie Magazine, I thought it would be right up my alley. It's described as an upscale lifestyle and parenting magazine, for busy but choosy moms.

But once you open the pages, their definition of "upscale" becomes unpleasantly clear. Want a cashmere turtleneck for your kid? This one's only $145! Get a matching hat for just $70!

This magazine is meant for the type of parent who will pay $750 for an ordinary-looking stroller, and shell out $300 for a diaper bag.

I'm not that kind of parent.

For $750, that stroller better propel itself through GPS technology, have some spinning rims, charge my cell phone and make milk and juice stains vanish into thin air. It better quiet a crying baby the second her tushie hits the seat, or I want my money back.

Funny thing is, I thought my Graco Travel System was pretty fancy, what with its cup holder and clock/temperature gauge. Now I know Gwyneth wouldn't be caught dead pushing my pedestrian pram.

But that's OK. That extra $600 we didn't spend on a stroller went into my daughter's college fund. The $250 we didn't spend on a diaper bag was donated to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief.

While it would be fun to strut around with the latest, hottest baby accessories, I know that the choices we make today will impact my daughter well into adulthood. I hope that we teach her the value of hard work and humility instead of avarice and ostentatiousness.

Because who wants to raise another spoiled, brainless rich girl?

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:44:00 AM, Blogger Gloria said...

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED your post!! Especially the picture of Paris...
:)

 
At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:20:00 PM, Blogger Elisa said...

Yes, this was so entertaining! I think it's ridiculous to spend $750 for a stroller. But I get a kick out of reading about what eccentric rich people spend their money on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home