MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

People Who Remain Childless

Maybe I am still bitter from my awful day in cold Chicago, but I found this article in the Chicago Tribune interesting: Destiny's child-free. Basically, it is about women who choose not to have children. There is plenty of lingo used by the childless to describe mothers and their offspring. Apparently, there is an organization called "No Kidding" that caters to this bunch:

Connolly says that she's not going to regret her choice to be child-free and that she's sick of people telling her she's too young to be certain.

"I just don't think of my life in terms of ever having children," she says. "I have two children right now: my two boxers. My dogs will be my children. That's how it's always gonna be."

Often, I wonder if these women will ever live to regret their decision, especially when they are old and gray and there is no one to take care of them. But today I am feeling like, "Lucky bitches get to sleep in!" Good for them for standing up to societal norms.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:19:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

I have no problem at all with people who choose to remain childless. After all, a few short years ago, I thought I would be one of them.

I *do* have a problem with that vile group of childfree people who downright *hate* children and the people who have them.

There are message boards out there just filled with hateful vitriol. It would make your stomach turn.

I am a faithful reader of A Little Pregnant, a blog written by a woman named Julie that detailed her heartbreaking battles with infertility and, finally, the birth of her son. People from a certain childfree site occasionally troll her site, for no reason at all. Here are some of the names they have for mothers, or those who are struggling to become mothers: "wannabreed bitches," "ovarian-obsessed cows," and my favorite, "turkey baster-fucking, dumbfuck breeder cunts."

No lie.

All I have to say is I'm relieved that people that hateful have chosen not to reproduce.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erika,
Don't worry about these anti-family oddballs too much. One thing that you can guarantee is since they can't stand kids, they won't pass their obnoxious ideas on to the next generation.

I think that people of this kind will only exist for a generation or so. Their ideas will die with them.

Within fifty years, because of the long-term availability of effective contraception, most people born in Western nations will be born because their parents actually wanted them. I think there'll be a lot less anti-family oddballs around then.

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a range of attitudes out there. I know you are reacting to generalizations, but please be aware that you are making some sweeping statements also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home