MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Monday, November 14, 2005

No Rest for the Wicked

The market for sleep aids has grown into a billion-dollar industry while the number of certified sleep clinics have tripled in the last 10 years. These numbers, however, don't include the millions of mommies who have read every book and taken every piece of advice to desperately catch up on z's (like I have).

After two years of motherhood, I can count on my one hand how many times I have gotten that extra hour of sleep in the morning. I can also count on one hand how often I have received even six hours of simultaneous sleep. Thanks to my shrunken bladder and sensitive mommy ears, typically, I wake up at least two times in the middle of the night. At least I have stockpiled concealer for my eyes.

Last night my son woke up, crying, three times! With stinging eyes, I hit the google search button to see what I can do to remedy the situation and instead came up with this story: "How Do You Get Your Baby to Sleep?" Adding insult to injury, it is a recent story about women who have hired nurses to make night calls to their homes.

Now, if I could afford nighttime help, I would snag it up. But, seriously, what are the rest of us supposed to do in place of plastering fake smiles on our zombie-like faces?

2 Comments:

At Monday, November 14, 2005 2:56:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

If I was desperate and tired enough, I would consider paying a couple hundred bucks for a sleep consultant who could give me some guidance. I mean, some women drop a couple hundred bucks on a purse or a pair of designer jeans (I have been guilty of that once or twice!)...and to me, sleep is MUCH more important than a purse.

 
At Monday, November 14, 2005 3:26:00 PM, Blogger Gloria said...

As if sleep deprivation isn't enough, I have also heard of parents who have started to give their children sleep aids. One is left to wonder if this is for the children, or for the parents??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home