MotherTalkers

Where real moms tell it like it is.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Disturbing Old School Discipline

My children both gave up the binky on their own when they were 3-years-old. I loved their binky and found myself stocking up, in the event I happen to lose one....there was always another one handy. It comforted them and comforted me. But everyone in my family was bothered by their dependence on the binky. They offered up advice on how to get them to stop using it. "Put some Jalapeño juice on it, that'll get them to stop." I told them, "If it bothers you, close your eyes or look the other way." C'mon! How mean is that!!

Then I read this article, "Mom Thought Chili Powder Safe For Baby". Where the 6-month-old baby in question died due to her young, troubled mother putting a chili powder concoction to have her daughter stop sucking her thumb.

What's next?? Getting a spray water bottle with one part water and two parts jalapeño juice and spraying it from a distance, a la George Lopez' comedy routine?? Being a parent is hard work and there should be no short cuts. Especially cruel ones like these...

-Gloria

2 Comments:

At Sunday, November 13, 2005 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Elisa said...

Gloria, this is such a good post! For Latinos, especially, we think it's okay to put jalapeno and chili on binkies, thumbs, etc.. Markos's mother would put chili pepper on his nails to keep him from biting them. He said he would rub it off and continues, to this day, biting his nails.

I think that society has this unrealistic notion that babies don't need vices -- other than their mothers. I mean, we have vices whether they be the occasional martini, loud music, walks to the park, smoking -- anything to relieve stress. Why shouldn't babies -- who are new to this world and stressed -- have vices of their own? My son is two and still uses the binky. We tried to keep it from him at first -- because we were told by family that it would ruin his teeth and he would become "addicted" to it -- but he cried nonstop. He would nurse until he puked so we opted to give him the binky. Until he gives it up on his own I am not about to put chili pepper or anything else -- dangerous! -- to get him to stop.

 
At Monday, November 14, 2005 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Stories like this make me want to scream. That poor, defenseless child. It's tragic that we have zero control over what situation we are born into.

My parents were young and inexperienced, too. Thank god they had a moral compass and the love and support of family. Now that I'm a mother, I am more grateful than ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home